The Knox Building was designed by architect John H. Duncan and built from 1901 to 1902 as the headquarters of the Knox Hat Company.
In its day, the building had a prominent position at the head of Ladies’ Mile, located on Fifth Avenue and 40th Street, beside the New York Public Library.
PBDW restored the building to more closely resemble its 1902 Beaux Arts appearance. Modern storefronts at the ground level have been replaced with new cast iron, steel, and glass assemblies based on historic photos of the originals that had been removed decades earlier. The Fifth Avenue entry replicates the original design, including its projecting curved vitrines flanking the main entry doors, and is once again surmounted by a curved steel and glass canopy. On 40th Street, the four storefront windows have been replaced with curved iron and glass vitrines.
Second floor windows have been remade in cast iron to match the original tri-partite divisions. At the seventh floor, a replica of the original ornate iron railing has been re-installed, and sits atop a refurbished copper cornice.